Manchester United defender Aaron Wan-Bissaka has been banned from driving for six months and fined more than £30,000 for driving while disqualified and without insurance
The 24-year-old admitted earlier this year to driving while disqualified and without insurance after being stopped by police in Manchester on June 23 returning from a break abroad.
On Monday, ahead of a scheduled trial he also pleaded guilty to failing to provide driver details for two speeding offences in Bradford, West Yorkshire, in September 2020.
Lawyers for Wan-Bissaka said the right-back was in a “state of complete ignorance” of the Yorkshire driving matters as notification letters were sent to his former home in Croydon, London.
The failure to reply led to a six-month ban imposed at Leeds Magistrates’ Court in his absence on June 18 – just five days before his Lamborghini Urus was seized by police on the A34 after officers stopped him.
Wan-Bissaka already had six points on his licence from a conviction in London in April 2020, the court heard.
Shaun Draycott, defending, told Manchester Magistrates’ Court: “When he was stopped on the A34 he was courteous and respectful to the officers, and he indicated to them he had no idea he was disqualified.”
The solicitor said football agents did not merely deal with finances and were responsible for all manners of personal services for their client, including one case he knew not Wan-Bissaka where an agent arranged for a player’s rubbish bins to be put out.
Mr Draycott said arrangements were made for Wan-Bissaka’s agent to visit his former home in London in order to ensure that his affairs were properly handled following his transfer to Manchester United in 2019.
He explained the property was undergoing refurbishment at about the time the Yorkshire letters were sent and the address was subsequently let out.
Mr Draycott said: “I think the refurbishment issue may have caused some difficulty. He felt matters had been put in hand and plainly they had not, and he must now pay the price for that.”