- Troost-Ekong’s own goal gives Algeria lead
- Ighalo equalises with VAR-awarded penalty
- Mahrez scored a stunning free-kick as match winner
- Nigeria to Play Tunisia for third place playoff
- Algeria will face Senegal for Friday’s final
- Algeria’s only success was in 1990
The Super Eagles of Nigeria have failed to get to the final of this year’s Nations Cup after a loss to Algeria on Sunday in the semi-final showdown in Cairo.
Riyad Mahrez scored a stunning free-kick with virtually the last kick of the game as Algeria beat Nigeria to reach the Africa Cup of Nations final.
With the tie heading for extra time, Manchester City forward Mahrez whipped a fierce set-piece into the top corner.
A William Troost-Ekong own goal had given Algeria the lead before Odion Ighalo’s penalty levelled the scores.
Algeria will face Senegal, who earlier beat Tunisia thanks to an extra-time own goal, in the final on Friday, while Nigeria will settle for a third place against Tunisia on Wednesday.