Australia will host the men’s 2027 and women’s 2029 Rugby World Cups in a game changer for the cash-strapped Down Under code.
The World Rugby Council has formally awarded Australia the display rights for the two global masterpieces following a final vote in Dublin on Thursday.
Australia was almost certain to win both tournaments after previously obtaining preferred host status in the simplified bidding process.
The Sydney Harbor Bridge was lit up in green and gold at 6pm before Rugby Australia (RA) received confirmation it was eagerly awaiting almost three hours later.
Wallabies legend Tim Horan, a two-time World Cup winner, tweeted that the announcement marked “the most significant moment in Australian rugby history since winning the RWC in 1991 putting rugby on the map in Oz.” “.
RA boss Andy Marinos estimated that the two World Cups could generate $50-60 million for the cash-strapped governing body and help return the sport to its glory days in Australia.
That forecast came after the organization considered returning to amateur status when it posted a net shortfall of $27.1 million for 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
“It sets us up for what I think will be the golden age of rugby in this country,” said RA Chairman David Codey.
Wallabies captain Michael Hooper and Wallaroos captain Shannon Parry said hosting the two events would inspire a new generation of young players.
“It’s pretty special,” Hooper said.
‘The track of all this comes together in the next 10 years of rugby. Not only with these World Cups, but also with the Olympics (Brisbane 2032) with rugby participating in the Olympics and what that looks like.
“It’s a very good time to be a young rugby player or to play rugby.”
Australian Women’s Rugby President Josephine Sukkar said “the impact of what this means, not just for Australia but for the region” cannot be overstated.
‘The legacy this will create for Australia, the increase in participants. We expect more than 30,000 more men and women to participate in the game,” said Sukkar.