Anthony Joshua will make his new trainer Robert Garcia, a man who has guided 14 fighters to world titles, as he looks to win back his belts from Oleksandr Usyk and set up a huge Tyson Fury fight.
The former two-time unified heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua has appointed a new head trainer ahead of his rematch with Oleksandr Usyk.
According to ESPN, Robert Garcia, the boxing writers’ 2012 Trainer of the Year, will travel to England to help Joshua win back the WBO, WBA, and IBF heavyweight titles this summer.
The 47-year-old former 130lb titleholder is a respected boxing tactician who has helped 14 different fighters realise their dream of becoming a world champion.
He retired from boxing at 26 with a record of 34-3, 25 knockouts and although he won the IBF junior lightweight title in 1998, he says beating Ramon Ledon in his first defence was proudest moment.
“He was very strong and dropped me in the second round and pretty much had me out. I survived a few more rounds and then in the fifth I knocked him out,” he told Ring magazine.
Garcia’s list of successes includes Marcos Maidana, Abner Mares, Jose Ramirez, Brandon Rios, Brian Viloria, and his brother, Mikey, who captured belts in four different divisions.
“I’m the only trainer that works good with everyone,” he explained once. “I’m fortunate to have a good relationship with Golden Boy, Top Rank and Lou DiBella. I’m the type of trainer that doesn’t pick sides. I work with everybody, I get along with everybody.”
AJ was beaten soundly by former cruiserweight king Usyk when they first faced off at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in London last September.
Since then, Joshua has toured U.S. gyms to find a new trainer, visiting the likes of Virgil Hunter, Eddy Reynoso, and Ronnie Shields before ultimately settling on Garcia.
Robert McCracken has been AJ’s head trainer throughout his professional career and even helped him win a gold medal at the 2012 Olympics but is reportedly no longer a part of the team.
The much talked about rematch between Usyk and Joshua was expected to take place on July 23 in the Middle East. However, it now appears that the fight will be pushed back by ‘two or three weeks and take place in mid-Augustinstead.
Boxing promoter Eddie Hearn recently revealed a site deal has been agreed to by both fighters and claimed that it’s only paperwork that is holding up an official announcement.
The Matchroom Chairman had hoped to stick to the original July 23 date but has accepted a delay may be necessary to properly promote the heavyweight mega-fight.
“When you question about will there be a delay? If there is, you’re talking about two weeks and it’s for no other reason than time and making sure we can promote the fight in the right way,” Hearn told IFL TV.
“The fight is happening, the fight is agreed in terms of where it will take place and both sides have agreed, both sides have agreed the deal, and both sides have agreed everything.
“It’s just probably taken 10 days longer than we wanted it to and without putting a date all I can tell you is we are finalising the final bits of paperwork, and everything is agreed. So, standby.”
“AJ is fighting twice this year so any delay could only be a couple of weeks because we want to make sure he’s good to go in December again