Midfielder Angel Gomes will exit Old Trafford from tomorrow after he failed to agree on a new contract with Manchester United
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer admits Angel Gomes is likely to leave after failing to agree terms over a new contract.
The 19-year-old midfielder, who has been linked with Juventus and Chelsea, will be a free agent on Tuesday and Solskjaer confirmed that there is no sign of him penning a new deal.
The United manager said last week that he was hopeful of Gomes – United’s young player of the year in 2017 who has been training at the club since the age of six would agree to stay.
But asked on Monday morning if Gomes, a Golden Boy nominee, will leave, Solskjaer said: ‘To be honest, I’ve not heard from them last night or this morning so it seems like they haven’t managed to agree.
‘The answer is probably short and yes. I’ve got no news. Nothing. It doesn’t look like it.’
It represents a reversal from the situation 11 days ago, when Solskjaer said a new deal between the club and Gomes was ‘not too far away.’
Gomes made his first-team debut in 2017 at 16 years of age, coming on as a substitute for Wayne Rooney against Crystal Palace at Old Trafford.
From that appearance, Gomes became the first player born in the 2000s to feature for the club.
But that emergence has failed to result in a breakthrough to the first-team squad – he has made just a total of 10 appearances for the club in all competitions.
And though talks over a new deal have been longed out over 18 months, a renewal has seemingly not been agreed and the 19-year-old will be unattached from tomorrow.
Gomes is also an England Under-20 international and was captain of the Three Lions side which won the Under-17 World Cup in 2017.