Reporting Sports in a refreshing style

How I turned down £100,000 to fight Evander Holyfield – Frank Bruno

Frank Bruno has turned down a lucrative offer to fight Evander Holyfield – because he could be blinded if he steps back in the ring.

According to The Sun, the retired World Champion Bruno was offered £100,000 to take on the legendary American – who returned to boxing last night against former MMA star Vitor Belfort after a 10-year absence.

But Frank, 59, told the Sun on Sunday he had ruled out becoming Holyfield’s next opponent because one more punch in the face could blind him.

Frank, who retired in 1996, said: “The eye injury I sustained all those years ago in my last fight against Mike Tyson means I risk losing my sight if I ever box again.

read also:Bruno Lage heaps praise on Wolves debutant Hwang Hee-chan

“So, even though I am fit and in great shape, I’ve had to say thanks but no thanks. You can’t put a price on your health.”

Holyfield, 58, reigned at heavyweight and Cruiserweight and famously had his ear chomped by Mike Tyson in a 1997 bout.

Instead of taking him, Frank – who has battled mental ill health since retirement – is now focusing on throwing a glitzy bash to celebrate turning 60 in November.

The dad-of-four is throwing a ball to raise cash for his charity, the Frank Bruno Foundation, which helps people suffering mental health woes.

Frank added: “We’re hoping to raise lots of money so my Foundation can help the rising numbers of people going through tough times. Helping others as well as staying fit and healthy is now my biggest fight. I’ll leave climbing back through the ropes to some of the other old geezers.”

A string of retired fighters have returned to the ring in recent years.

Last year Bruno’s former foe, Tyson, 55, took on Roy Jones Jr, 52, in a fight that ended in a draw.

Earlier this year it was reported that ex-World Champion Lennox Lewis, 56, was also eyeing his own return against Tyson.

Loading...
You might also like
Comments
Loading...