Frank Warren has refuted suggestions that negotiations have begun for an all-British showdown between Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua.
Reports from America emerged last week claiming talks over a unification fight were underway, which would have to see Deontay Wilder and Kubrat Pulev step aside so the heavyweight rivals could go head-to-head.
Fury’s co-promoter joined talkSPORT Breakfast on Thursday morning to respond to that speculation amid the coronavirus pandemic.
Fury claimed Wilder’s WBC heavyweight title in February to become a two-time heavyweight champion of the world
“We haven’t spoken to them. You’ve got to deal with the facts and Tyson has a contractual agreement with Deontay Wilder, and Pulev has signed on to fight AJ,” he said.
“There’s been all these stories about negotiations going on, but there hasn’t been any because there’s nothing to negotiate. No offers have been made from either camp.
“All the parties concerned have signed an NDA (non-disclosure agreement) with one of the countries – but we can’t talk about that.
“There’s no offer forthcoming from them, nor indeed from any other people that we’ve spoken to thus far. Until you actually know what the offer is, how can you negotiate?”
Warren, who says there is no prospect of The ‘Gypsy King’ fighting behind closed doors, also issued an update on the trilogy fight between Fury and Wilder.
Fury beat Wilder in stunning fashion February to claim the WBC heavyweight title after their first fight in 2018 had ended in a controversial draw.
After the American activated a rematch clause in his contract, the pair were set to come to blows again on July 18 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
However, the coronavirus outbreak meant that mega-money bout, like so many other sporting events, had to be held back until Autumn.
The British Boxing Board of Control has since issued a series of rules for the sport’s prospective domestic return in July, including all shows taking place without fans, and trainers and officials wearing face masks.
That will not be happening in this case though, with Warren revealing the bout must take place before the end of 2020.
He added: “That fight was supposed to take place in July and that’s obviously not going to be the case now.
“It’s certainly got to happen by the end of the year, so that’s where we’re at.
“I don’t think there was a clause in the contract in terms of dealing with a pandemic, though!”