Arsenal took a big leap towards securing a top-four berth after a nervy win at FA Cup finalists Watford.
The Gunners scored the only goal of the game on 10 minutes through Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang who blocked Ben Foster’s attempted clearance.
Just a minute later Watford were reduced to 10 men when captain Troy Deeney was shown a straight red card for an elbow on Lucas Torreira.
Deeney has been shown a straight red for an elbow into the face of Torreira. As Alan Smith says on commentary: “It’s a silly challenge.”
- Watford 0-1 Arsenal
- Aubameyang scores after Foster blunder (10)
- Deeney shown red for elbow (11)
- Six Arsenal changes
- Ozil, Lacazette on bench
- Foster, Janmaat, Kabasele, Masina start
- Watford suffered their first defeat in six Premier League home games (W3 D2).
- Arsenal kept their first away clean sheet in the Premier League this season at the 16th time of asking.
- None of the last 12 Premier League meetings between Watford and Arsenal have ended in a draw (10 wins for Arsenal, two for Watford); only two fixtures in the competiton have been played more often without ever sharing the spoils (Manchester United v Wigan (16), Aston Villa v Derby (14).
- Since returning to the Premier League in 2015/16, Watford have picked up 15 red cards in the competition, more than any other side.
- Arsenal have not lost back-to-back away league games at Watford since a run of three straight defeats ending in November 1987.
- None of the 11 previous Premier League meetings between Watford and Arsenal have ended in a draw (nine wins for Arsenal, two for Watford);
- Watford have only won two of their 15 Premier League games when playing on a Monday (D5 L8); a 4-2 win over Portsmouth in April 2007 and a 4-1 victory against Chelsea in February 2018.