Manchester United are reportedly leading the race to sign Kalidou Koulibaly – with the defender said to angling for a move away from Serie A.
The Star claims he is unhappy at Napoli following Carlo Ancelotti’s exit and wants to escape this month.
View this post on Instagram
Sono questi i momenti in cui si vede la qualità e la forza di un gruppo. Martedì, tutti uniti, per i tre punti 💪🏿 Ce sont les moments où la qualité et la force d'un groupe sont démontrées. Mardi, tous ensemble pour les trois points 💪🏿 These are the moments when the quality and strength of a group are shown. On Tuesday, all together for the three points 💪🏿 💙 #ForzaNapoliSempre #NAPSAL #UCL
The news has apparently prompted United to start preparing an offer after they lost Harry Maguire with a hip injury.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer had been exploring the possibility of signing a centre-back on loan until the end of the season, with Eric Bailly, Axel Tuanzebe and Marcos Rojo also unavailable.
But the Norwegian could be tempted to swoop for 28-year-old Koulibaly instead after the Senegal international reportedly declared his intention to leave Naples.
The defender is said to be fuming after Ancelotti was replaced by Gennaro Gattuso in December.
Koulibaly is also believed to have fallen out with Napoli owner Aurelio De Laurentiis.
And the ace is now said to be on the market for £100million.
United have the funds necessary to complete a deal and it now remains to be seen if Solskjaer takes the plunge by splashing out on another big-money signing.
Unhappy Kalidou Koulibaly wants Napoli exit with Man Utd leading £100m race https://t.co/WW8YG9dv7W
— Irish Sun Sport (@IrishSunSport) January 10, 2020
However, there are other Premier League clubs interested in Koulibaly, with Chelsea and Spurs both rumoured to be in contact.
Everton have also been linked after they Ancelotti in the wake of his Napoli exit.
And even West Ham are said to be monitoring Koulibaly’s situation.