Villarreal have suspended defender Ruben Semedo and taken him off their payroll a day after he was charged with offences including attempted murder and held in custody without bail.
The 23-year-old defender was arrested on Tuesday for alleged involvement with others in holding a man who they threatened with a gun, according to media reports.
‘While always respecting the notion that everyone is innocent until proven guilty, the club has decided to suspend the player from duties without pay until the ongoing case has been settled,’ Villarreal said in a statement on their website.
‘Villarreal would like to show its horror at the grave crimes the player Ruben Semedo was charged with.’
Semedo’s agent Catio Balde told Portuguese television network TSF on Wednesday that his client had been tricked.
On Thursday, a judge ordered that Semedo be held in custody without bail for charges also including robbery and illegal possession of weapons.
Semedo was transferred to Villarreal CF for €14 million On 7 June 2017. He made his La Liga debut on 25 August, playing the entire 0–3 away loss against Real Sociedad. In January 2018, it was announced that Semedo would be subjected to trial for an altercation in a bar in Valencia the previous November where he allegedly brandished a pistol and produced threats, while the Sporting player was nursing an injury. He was arrested again for a separate incident on 20 February, this time for supposedly tying up and assaulting a man in his home alongside two others, then proceeding to go to the victim’s house to burgle it.