Reporting Sports in a refreshing style

Police officer sustains ‘slash wound to face’ in Old Trafford protests

Greater Manchester Police [GMP] have revealed two of its officers were injured in the protests at Old Trafford on Sunday.

In a statement on Sunday night, GMP said one officer sustained “a significant slash wound to his face, requiring emergency hospital treatment” after being attacked with a bottle by Manchester United fans protesting against the Glazers.

GMP condemned the actions of “a group of about 100” fans forced entry to Old Trafford and have revealed “some United staff had to lock themselves in rooms” with “the situation increasing in hostility”, while “bottles and barriers” were thrown at officers and horses.

A GMP statement said: “Officers were aware of a protest planned to take place in Old Trafford today and were working closely alongside partners to ensure those that attended were kept safe whilst enabling their right to peaceful protest.

“Early this afternoon, groups of protestors began to gather at Old Trafford and separately at The Lowry Hotel, Salford where the United players were staying. By late afternoon around 200 protestors had gathered outside the Lowry and over 1,000 at Old Trafford.

“Officers continued to closely monitor the situation, engaging with those present but, as the groups grew in size, it became clear that many of those present were not intending to exercise their right to peaceful protest. Flares were let off and bottles thrown at officers.

“Protestors outside Old Trafford became especially aggressive and antagonistic towards police before a group of about 100 forced entry to the ground with some United staff having to lock themselves in rooms.

“Those in the stadium were evicted by officers but outside on the forecourt hostility grew with bottles and barriers being thrown at officers and horses.

“Two officers have been injured with one officer being attacked with a bottle and sustaining a significant slash wound to his face, requiring emergency hospital treatment.

Read Also: UCL: Varane doubtful for Chelsea tie, set to undergo tests on Monday

“With the situation increasing in hostility, additional officers had to be deployed and officers had to be drawn in from neighbouring forces to assist Greater Manchester officers.

“Following discussion with The Premier League, Trafford Council and the clubs, a joint decision was made to postpone the match for safety reasons.”

You might also like